Thursday, March 30, 2006

Scientology


I’ve been thinking and reading a lot about the Church of Scientology. Their Home site seems pretty innocuous.  I did run across one or two notions that I found odd.  Operation Clambake says that the civil veneer is just a front for a sci-fi cult that steals your money.

Tom Cruise is the most visible face of Scientology today.  He has done more in recent year to evangelize and advance L Ron Hubbard’s ideas.  He has done a great deal to deafen me to his ramblings in the past few years, too.  He makes enough money to be eccentric.  IMDB Tom Cruise Bio/Salaries
That’s Neverland kind of money.  I suppose we should be happy that Tom isn’t weirding out little kids.  Oh, yeah, there are some offbeat birth rituals in Scientology, and Tom Jr won’t be able to talk to anyone not approved by Scientologists (IE, Catholic Grandparents), and he’ll have a nanny steeped in the art of the “Audit”
I think the thing I really find annoying about Scientology is that they practice the “Study of Truth” through Science.  Science won’t touch any of their myths.  L Ron Hubbard’s creation myths are so fantastic they defy logic… even when taken as allegory.
I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t make sense to me, no matter how I look at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home